Monday, December 29, 2014

Book Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

Hi! I hope you had a merry Christmas! It may be almost New Year but I'm still pushing to finish my review of the Legend trilogy before 2014 ends so... YOLOSWAGIT! Haha! Last time I was able to review Marie Lu's Legend, the first book of the series of the same name. Now let's head on to the next book of the series: Prodigy!

Apart from the info already present on the book's synopsis, this review is SPOILER FREE!  (And I'm assuming you've already read Legend whilst reading this post lol.) 

  • Title: Prodigy
  • Author: Marie Lu
  • Genre: young adult, sci fi, dystopia
  • Pages: 371 pages (paperback)
  • Published: 1 January 2013
  • Series:  Legend #2
"June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller Legend, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action. "


THRILLING
Let me begin by telling you how thrilling this novel is. Yes, Marie Lu does it again with this book and in my opinion her story has become more thrilling than ever! Now that I now know the truth behind the Republic, the stakes are higher than ever! And of course, with higher stakes come more page turns. If you think Legend was fast-paced, you ain't seen nothing yet. And I'm not even exaggerating. Plus, this is the novel where all pieces come into place, which makes it a lot more worth reading. There's more history to back things up.

DANGEROUS
Also, Prodigy is more gritty compared to Legend. There were more deceptions, secrets, and the occasional deaths, which in my opinion places it more on its dystopian side rather than its sci fi side. The world becomes more dangerous. No more risky little Skiz fights. The Republic is the enemy now. And with June and Day being both official Patriots now, they literally already have the "enemy of the government" status, even without doing anything yet. But their mission just had to be to kill the new Elector. *sigh*

UNPREDICTABLE
That brings me to my next point. I loved how things were topsy-turvy. Who they thought was the real big enemy was actually a good guy and who they thought were the good guys were actually the baddies! I really enjoyed twists and turns like these. There were also big moments, and by big I mean like those moments that would look great if they were shown in a movie. The motivational speech broadcast to thousands of people with wind effect? Check! And that ending? Well... I'll leave it to you to find out for yourself. My response is only one word with three big letters: WHY?!

CONSTRUCTIVE
One more thing I admired about Prodigy was how it built up the bond between Day and June, (highlight with cursor for spoiler-induced review) just enough for readers like me to go crazy when that bond is forcefully ripped apart at the end of the book. They were able to learn more about and from each other, which makes the seemingly worthless romance actually relevant... and downright steamy (i.e. bathtub scene, and you know just how much I despise love scenes *gags*). Also, both grew in their own way but I think June grabs the spotlight in this round. She has changed a lot since the beginning. In this novel, she takes more risks, becomes more decisive, and many more. The spotlight isn't always on June, though. Kaede and Anden (characters who both appeared briefly in Legend) both shares that spotlight as well. The two turned out to be my favorite characters in the series. Just to give you a hint, Kaede has this big moment in the story and Anden will become a pivotal character in Prodigy and will work his way into being a mainframe character in Champion (third book). And I almost forgot, Tess, who in Legend is this poor young orphan that Day took in, also becomes more mature and more fearless in Prodigy. Plus, I spy with my little eye a little love triangle. ;)

So that's it for this book review. I could clearly say I had a better time reading Prodigy than Legend, but for the rating, they are still tied, simply because there were some deaths that I did not want and I thought was completely unnecessary. Hahaha! And because there was this annoying bad guy that just won't disappear. (Hint: Commander Jameson)


Happy Holidays,

No comments:

Post a Comment