Friday, December 19, 2014

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu (SPOILER FREE!)

How's it going? In honor of the Marie Lu book signing event that happened last month, I am happy to announce that this month (and probably next month) is going to be Marie Lu month! I am going to review her Legend Trilogy and her latest release, The Young Elites, for the weeks to come. I've read her trilogy and all I can say for now is that I am so excited to do this! So without further ado, Marie Lu month starts now!

  • Title: Legend
  • Author: Marie Lu
  • Genre: young adult, sci fi, dystopia
  • Pages: 304 pages (paperback)
  • Published: 29 November 2011
  • Series:  Legend #1
"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. 

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. 

Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. 
Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets."


Marie Lu writes a very interesting story of how a criminal and a woman of the law get their fates intertwined and somehow fall in love with each other. A girl falling in love with the guy who allegedly stabbed her brother in the heart. How romantic. Haha. Kidding aside though, at one point I thought it was a bit unrealistic. Who would want to love a person who killed his/her loved one? PLUS it was much like Disney before Queen Elsa finally put some sense. It was like, what? Two days or something before they suddenly fell in love with each other?



The romance at first made me all like:



But seriously, it's more interesting than it sounds. And I got to know the deeper reason behind this romance as the story progressed. I just can't reveal much stuff since I wouldn't want to spoil it to anyone but behind this murder is something much darker and more mysterious. And with this murder case going on, they might reveal a secret that their country has been hiding for a long time. But that is not the only thing that made me admire Legend.

Fast-paced - I think that is what makes Legend special. I was very eager to get on with the next chapter/page since Lu writes so quickly that I just have to know what happens next. There were no dull moments wherein you just want to skim through the words (except maybe for the June-analyzing-things-factually parts since she's a walking encyclopedia). It was full of action and suspense and conspiracies which were guaranteed page-turners. Who wouldn't want a good 'ole frame-up story? 

The characters were very nice, too. I could really see some development in them as the story progresses. Also, I really saw their ideals and the truths they cling to - (even the baddies). Take Day for instance. He may be a criminal, yes, but his motives are pure and humane. June on the other hand, is this prodigy who is destined to be the ideal woman of the law someday but really she's just a girl who stands with what is fair, even if it is against the law. I love digging into characters' personalities and ideals when I read, and with Legend I was able to do it and in some way I got to connect with these characters.

Apart from that though, Lu made the "sci fi" part and the "dystopian" part complement each other with both Day and June's characters. You know when you make a PB&J sandwich that has just the right PB and jelly ratio? Not those nutty sandwiches with too much PB or those messy sandwiches turned jelly-filled doughnut-wich. It felt just like that for me. And now I'm hungry. 

Lastly, before I make my sandwich, I just want to let everyone know that I'm not a fan of stories with romance and let me tell you now that Legend is kind of a romance-y story. BUT the romance was very subtle for me. It didn't make me gag or anything haha. In fact, I thought it was kind of alright to have and I thought that it made the story much much better.

The Rating:

I really enjoyed Legend regardless of the abnormally-quickly-appearing romance haha and of people dying too (thought we would be safe now, did you?). Legend is a novel that I can recommend to all teens and adults of both genders who would want to uncover a national conspiracy but would want some action and fast momentum to go with it. Legend is a must-read but don't read it when you have an exam to study for... unless you want a big fat F because trust me, I had a hard time putting it down and you might, too! (credits to the owners of the GIFs)


No comments:

Post a Comment