Sunday, August 31, 2014

August 2014 Bookshelf Bucket List: Myths and Legends!

Whaddup, whaddup! Bet you thought I was not posting this, did ya? Just kidding! I'm sorry, by the way, for not posting this earlier but here it is! My Bookshelf Bucket List for the month of August! This month I have managed to gather three mythical and legendary books I want to read here on our list, hence the theme Myths and Legends! *cue dramatic orchestra music*

1.  The Colossus Rises


  • Title: The Colossus Rises
  • Author: Peter Lerangis
  • Genre: young adult, fantasy, mythology, adventure
  • Pages: 348 pages (hardcover)
  • Published: 5 February 2013
  • Series:  Seven Wonders #1
"One Boy

Jack McKinley is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. In a few months, he’s going to die.

One Mission

Jack needs to find seven magic loculi that, when combined, have the power to cure him.

One Problem

The loculi are the relics of a lost civilization and haven’t been seen in thousands of years.

Seven Wonders

Because they’re hidden in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World."

Really? You would read another mythology series? HELL YEAH I WOULD! HAHAHA. If there was something wise that I learned when I began reading, it's to never say no to a mythology book! At least for me, of course, since I LOVE the genre. And I always find myself picking this book up in bookstores and checking it out. You see, I have always been fascinated with the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. I have read about them countless of times on books of facts and encyclopedias since I was a little kid. I loved how they came to be and how they were so iconic during the time of their existence. I also find myself wanting to visit these places although some of them are already extinct, that's why I think that I'd have a blast reading The Colossus Rises and its series.

2. The Sorceress

  • Title: The Sorceress
  • Author: Michael Scott
  • Genre: young adult, fantasy, mythology, adventure
  • Pages: 502 pages (hardcover)
  • Published: 26 May 2009
  • Series:  The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #3
"Nicholas Flamel's heart almost broke as he watched his beloved Paris crumble before him. The city was destroyed by Dee and Machiavelli, but Flamel played his own role in the destruction. Sophie and Josh Newman show every sign of being the twins of prophecy, and Flamel had to protect them and the pages from the Dark Elders.

But Nicholas grows weaker with each passing day. Perenelle is still trapp

ed in Alcatraz, and now that Scatty has gone missing, the group is without protection. Except for Clarent—the twin sword to Excalibur. But Clarent’s power is unthinkable, its evil making it nearly impossible to use without its darkness seeping into the soul of whoever wields it.

If he hopes to defeat Dee, Nicholas must find an Elder who can teach Josh and Sophie the third elemental magic—Water Magic. The problem? The only one who can do that is Gilgamesh, and he is quite, quite insane."

This book is somewhat more of an "I want" than an "I want to try", since I have read the 2 books before this one. I liked the first two books, especially the second one. The Magician left me wanting for more and here I am wanting to read the next book! 'Nuff said. (Portkey to my The Alchemyst review and Portkey to my The Magician review!)

3. Curse of the Bane

  • Title: Curse of the Bane
  • Author: Joseph Delaney
  • Genre: young adult, fantasy, horror, suspense
  • Pages: 480 pages (hardcover)
  • Published: 29 August 2006
  • Series:  The Last Apprentice #2
"Now it's the dark's turn to be afraid
The Spook and his apprentice, Thomas Ward, deal with the dark. Together they rid the county of witches, ghosts, and boggarts. But now there's some unfinished business to attend to in Priestown. Deep in the catacombs of the cathedral lurks a creature the Spook has never been able to defeat; a force so evil that the whole county is in danger of being corrupted by its powers. The Bane!
As Thomas and the Spook prepare for the battle of their lives, it becomes clear that the Bane isn't their only enemy. The Quisitor has arrived, searching for those who meddle with the dark so he can imprison them�or worse.
Can Thomas defeat the Bane on his own? Is his friend Alice guilty of witchcraft? And will the Spook be able to escape the Quisitor's clutches?"

Also not the first book of the series, Curse of the Bane is the second installment of The Last Apprentice series. For those who want a fright before going to bed, this book is perfect for you! With the cool spooky graphics and eerie stories, the first book, Revenge of the Witch, left me wanting for more, so Curse of the Bane is definitely on my BBL! (Portkey to my Revenge of the Witch review!)

So that was my Bookshelf Bucket List for the month of August! What about you? What books are on your bookshelf bucket list? Let me know in a comment! 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment