Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman



Hello! After my book review of the Maze Runner series, I've been itching for a new book to read. But sadly my search wasn't going well. That was until I decided to look for read-worthy books at Fully Booked The Fort (my most favorite place on earth which one day I will buy when I become a multibillionaire haha). I was just strolling among shelves when this little book caught my eye. 



  • Title: The Graveyard Book
  • Author: Neil Gaiman
  • Genre: children's fantasy, horror, fiction
  • Pages: 312 pages
  • Published: 30 September 2008
"IT TAKES A GRAVEYARD TO RAISE A CHILD.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . . "

I have heard of Neil Gaiman before. I know him best for his book, Coraline, which was adapted into the famous stop motion film of the same name. So when I checked The Graveyard Book out, I knew it was going to be something out of the ordinary. I checked the pages, and there were old-fashioned uncolored handdrawings, which I found cool (reminds me of The Last Apprentice). 


  

I loved it and I bought it, since I love those types of books with creepy illustrations (at least the kid in me does, long live pictures!). But of course I found the story interesting. I read it and I thought it was simple and innocent. It starts of from Nobody Owens's (main character) infanthood, and focuses on his childhood so I thought it was a kid's book. It was a kid's book, but any age could enjoy it other than kids. It was a mellow read, but at the same time it holds a somewhat deeper meaning. 

The plot isn't a straight line. Each chapter focuses on a different story with the main conflict just at the background. Although there were a lot of different happenings within the story, I found it a bit boring. The story progresses slowly, but it wasn't that bad. After reading this book, I wasn't afraid of ghosts anymore because while reading the Graveyard Book, I got to see how ghosts exist in their afterlives. And I was surprised to see that they aren't really that different from us. Apart from being dead, they are still the same persons they were during their lives, so there is no reason to be afraid of them. Nobody Owens even grew up with them!

The verdict? 3 stars. It was an okay read, but I am not going to say that you should drop everything and read The Graveyard Book right now. If you have time off and have nothing to do, you can read The Graveyard Book. 


That's it for this book review! Have a blessed Lenten Season!

PS. Credits to the owners of the photos I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment