Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review: The Death Cure


The Death Cure is more than just the final book of the Maze Runner trilogy. Other than ending the trilogy, it's also where we learn more about the characters' past world. In the Death Cure, we receive a few answers for some of our questions beginning with "why". But then again, like the previous books, the questions with the most juicy answers are the ones not cleared. (sigh) And I don't consider it as an "ending" either.



  • Title: The Scorch Trials
  • Author: James Dashner
  • Genre: science fiction, Dystopian, young adult
  • Pages: 368 pages
  • Series: The Maze Runner
"Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?"

I was honestly disappointed with the conclusion of this book. Not only were most of my burning questions left unanswered, but also the book itself was not fit for an ending. Really. It's like a big chunk of the story was not put in place. I don't know why Dashner ended the trilogy that way. Maybe he wants us to think of our own endings? And by the way, a main character dies in the end, although I didn't feel sad that much since I started to hate him/her (I'm not telling! #notospoilers xD) since the Scorch Trials. If you have read the Scorch Trials you might get who I'm talking about. And another one also dies (or gets killed by his/her friend). But it's not an act of treachery, but rather an act of mercy. 

I also saw more of the "real" world in this book. In the first book, I learned about the Glade and the Maze. In the second book, I learned about the Scorch. But this time, I saw more of the rest of the world, how the people who survived the Flare continue living, etc. I also understood more about the secretive organization, WICKED, and the Flare epidemic plus its effects to the human race.

The reading experience was a bit thrilling, but what I loved most is how Dashner slips in a few twists along the way. Unexpected things are definitely going to happen. But ironically, some ideas are too predictable. But the twists can compensate for that. 

The verdict: 4 stars!

Even though the ending was absolutely lacking and disappointing, I enjoyed reading the Death Cure. My reading momentum didn't go down, only up. Plus, with unexpected twists and turns along the way, I surely got a good reading experience. I suggest you read the first two books- The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trial-and give your own verdict. I may be disappointed at how the story ended, but I did enjoy the flow of the story itself. 

Don't catch the Flare,

No comments:

Post a Comment